Enrollment opening September 2020
This course is now full and in session
Please follow my blog to receive updates at: https://valeriesjodin.com/blog
What you receive in the course valued at $220:
- Welcome & supply video to help you get started, including drawing the basic knot and beginning Celtic lettering videos
- 20 video lessons with multiple videos showing start-to-finish how to create 20 illuminated pages for each phrase of the hymn 'Be Thou my Vision' in dry media (pencil, pens, colored pencils, with suggested but optional Gelatos®)
- 20 downloadable PDF page layouts of the illuminated pages. Some contain additional PDFs with visual/written instructions. (Please see FAQs below for copyright use)
- 20 video devotionals, around 10 minutes each, to go along with the phrase of the week.
- 20 downloadable devotional PDFs with Scripture, "Heart-full" questions and spiritual exercises to inspire you to grow deeper in your walk with God
- Opportunities for us to interact with one another, both written and through imagery in the comments section of each lesson
- Helpful references, resources, and recommended reading lists & links
- Bonus lesson on how to make a travelers journal style cover for the journal (wet media on watercolor paper)
How the course works and timeline:The course starts now with the Welcome and information available at time of purchase. It is a journey I am excited to walk together. The lessons are planned for 1 per week, but you will receive two lessons at a time in order to give you the greatest flexibility of when you do the lessons. This is a 20 week course, and after that you will have lifetime access to the entire course. The first two lessons will be published on Friday, March 27, 2020. After that two lessons will be published every other Friday and you will receive a reminder email with a link to our class.
Keys to drawing Celtic Knots & Illumination Course Supply List
- Pencil (mechanical pencil preferred)
- Dark graphite pencil (size 4B -9B) The higher the number with a 'B' after it, the darker the graphite
- Eraser - white pen type of eraser
- Kneaded eraser or white eraser
- Paper stump for blending graphite (this link includes a kneaded eraser)
- Ruler (I prefer cork back for non-skid)
- Calligraphy marker/s - I'm using Calligrapher pen set (1,2,3 sizes) by Sakura
- Drawing pen/s, 01, 02 or 03, and 04 or 05 size nibs recommended: Micron pen set: https://amzn.to/2UVs3EM or STA Black Fineliner Ink pens: https://amzn.to/38HCQH3
- Colored pencils (recommended at least a set of 24 colors) Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, Soft Core, 72 Pack or Prismacolor Colored Pencils Art Kit Artist Premier Wooden Soft Core Pencils 150 ct. with Pencil Sharpener [151 pc. Set] or Staedtler Ergosoft Colored Pencils, Set of 24 Colors in Stand-up Easel Case (157SB24)
- Colorless pencil blender - Prismacolor Colorless Blender
- Pencil Sharpener
- Red 08 no-bleed colored pen or other color/s
- A5 Dotted journal (options, suggestions and video info in Welcome & Supplies sections of the course)
- Sakura Gelly Roll Metallic Gold pen
- White extra fine Posca paint pen
- Celtic Alphabet Stencil (optional but suggested)
- Gelatos Iridescents set (optional but suggested)
- Stiff brushes to apply Gelatos (optional but suggested)
- Bonus lesson supply list is in the Welcome & Supplies section of the course
"It is wonderful how Valerie blends the personal, spiritual, art, and healing into her videos. The way she merges devotional and tutorial instruction is beautiful!"
~ Ann H.
~ Elizabeth I.
"Valerie, I've been going through the Celtic lessons and I just have to say they are amazing! It dawned on me how much work and time you put into these lessons and what a gift they are to people."
~ Kim B.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am an artist, workshop facilitator, and certified spiritual director. My passion is art making and encouraging people to connect with God through creativity. Teaching Art Journaling and Art & Faith workshops in person and online are ways I live out that passion and connect with other like-hearted people. Through teaching and writing, my hope is to inspire people to believe in and improve their creative ability. Taking time to listen and respond to God through art making is a natural part of my life and faith journey, a combination of being and doing, a collaboration and conversation with God.
Prayerful Doodling book published in 2018, is an outgrowth of connecting with God through creativity. In the book Paintings, Prayers, and Passages, I tell my faith journey through art. You may also find my work in Complete Guide to Bible Journaling and the Holy Bible: Mosaic, and Somerset Studio and Art Journaling magazines. In 2016 I worked on, and published through Taunton Press, two faith-based coloring books, Colorful Blessings and Colorful Blessings: Celebrating Everyday Wonders.
As an adult learner, I earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting, have attended and taught numerous workshops over the years, volunteered in the Art Literacy program at a local elementary school, taught how-to classes such as: coloring with colored pencils, painting and travel art journaling classes at local libraries; and exhibited art in galleries and exhibitions over the years. For ten years, I taught Art and Art History to Jr. High and High School students, and still get excited sharing in the joy of the “aha” moments with people. Lifetime Arts, a national online directory of teaching artists for older adults has added me to their roster of teaching artists.
Currently, I am blessed to be living an artful life in Hillsboro Oregon, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with my husband Keith. We have three grown married children and eight grandchildren.